Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My heart is in the East, and I am at the ends of the West

To quote Yehuda Halevi"My heart is in the East, and I am at the ends of the West." That is the sense I have had this past week as once again Israel is suffering under a shower of rockets. While I have chosen my life here in the united States I have always been spiritually connected to Israel. During the first Gulf War as soon as I heard that a mission was organized for rabbis to go and show their solidarity I signed on. Yet, there have been other times I was unable to go. A few days ago the CCAR announced they were organizing a solidarity mission to Israel from November 30 to December 5. After discussions with jan, Ron Newman the president of our congregation and Rabbi Sapowith I registered for the journey. Hopefully as occurred during the Gulf War the shooting will cease before I arrive. It is still important tha I let our brothers and sisters in Israel know that we not only care about them but will support them in different ways. My support will be both financial and physical as I go to be with them at this difficult time. I hope to post updates when I am there and speak about the experience when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment